Suggest treatment for anal cancer

Dr. Ivan R. Rommstein

General Surgeon

Posted on Fri, 3 Mar 2017 in General Health
Question: I have been fighting anal cancer for the last 2 years. After chemo, radiation, surgery and more chemo, my scans had started coming out clean till the last 2 within the last 3 months. I will be following up with my doctor on thurs, but wanted to know more on what t o expect. My blood work is the best it has been. My ATL is low (<10), EGFR 57.9 , Protein 6.4 Everything else is in normal ranges. The scan shows a 1.0 cm low density structure involving the posterior junction of the body and the tail of the pancreas. It is unchanged from the scan 3months ago, but is nonspecific as to etiology.
Answered by Dr. Ivan R. Rommstein 28 minutes later
Brief Answer:
See next

Detailed Answer:
Hi and welcome.
Well,first it would be good to know when was the tumor discovered and what stage was it. Also, lymph node involvement is important for more precious prognosis. Generally,anal cancer is serious disease with high recurrence rate,unless it was found in very early stages and if you had both radiotherapy and surgery then it is not likely to be early stage. However,complete cure is seen in around 30% of patients. Lab test are nonspecific and it won't tell us about possible recurrence. The most important is PET scan and if this is clear then you have a reason to hope for the best. this lesions is not typical site of metastasis but should be followed frequently. Wish you good health. Regards
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Prasad
Follow up: Dr. Ivan R. Rommstein 29 minutes later
I kind of know where I stand on the anal cancer. My concern right now is the spot on the pancreas and what it is and what may have caused it. That it is not typical of metastasis helps.

Thank you
Answered by Dr. Ivan R. Rommstein 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
Probably not related to primary cancer

Detailed Answer:

I don't think it's secondaries from anal cancer since it shows different spreading pattern and usually spreads to inguinal lymph node or liver.

This pancreatic lesions is probably primary tumor, but without more detailed MRI description, I can't say if this is benign or malignant. You should do marker CA 19-9 and Cromogranin-A, and if this is positive, the next step would be ERCP or endoscopic ultrasound.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Arnab Banerjee
Follow up: Dr. Ivan R. Rommstein 1 hour later
Thank you..that was what I was wanting to know. Will be seeing my oncologist Thurs and finding out where we go from here.
Thank you for your time.
Answered by Dr. Ivan R. Rommstein 59 minutes later
Brief Answer:
You are welcome

Detailed Answer:
You are welcome.

If you have any other questions, I'll be happy to help.

Take Care