• question-icon

Suggest treatment for anaemia

Posted on Wed, 25 Nov 2015 in General Health
Question: I am apparently anemic. I have a low iron content in blood tests. I take three 500 mg iron pills per day, and eat lots of liver. But my iron blood count is still too low. There is no blood escaping my body via any orifice. So what is wrong? XXXXXXX XXXXXXX YYYY@YYYY
Answered by Dr. Neeraj Kumar 20 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Require more investigation and hematologist consultation

Detailed Answer:
Hello XXXXXXX XXXXXXX
I have gone through your question and understand your concerns.
Anemia at this age needs to be evaluated comprehensively for cause.
Apart from nutrional other cause like vitamin B12 Def, colon cancer, haematuria, piles and bone marrow abnormalities may also occur.
You should continue taking iron supplementation and consult a hematologist for proper examination and investigation.
You may require blood investigation, general blood picture, iron profile, vitamin B12 levels, stool for occult blood, urine examination, ultrasound abdomen and bone marrow if required.
Only iron deficiency anemia will respond but rise in hemoglobin occurs approx 1gm/dl in a week.
Hope you found the answer helpful.
Do get back to me for further queries.
Dr Neeraj Kumar
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Sonia Raina
Dr. Neeraj Kumar

Neurologist