Suggest treatment for an itchy lump in the groin area

Dr. T Chandrakant

General Surgeon

Posted on Mon, 29 Aug 2016 in Lump
Question: Male, 70. Found a pea size (or smaller) lump in the groin rt. side. Not painful. Found it by it itching. Under the skin. Feels like it's attached to the (fat? or muscle?) under the skin. No other symptoms. You can't see it by just looking as it's under the skin. Was concerned about the "C" word. Just concerned that it is there. Don't know how long. Should I 'panic? Or could it be just a pissed off lymph node and just takes time to go away. I ASKED THIS ABOUT 2 HOURS AGO AND NEVER HEARD A REPLY. THINKING YOU MAY NOT HAVE RECEIVED IT.
Answered by Dr. T Chandrakant 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
as explained in details.

Detailed Answer:
Hi.
Thank for your query.
To recapitulate: Male/70 - just found a pea sized lump - right groin - found by itching - under the skin - feels like attached to (fat? or muscle?) under the skin - no other symptoms - concerned about ''C'' word -

My thoughts and explanations as per the history you have provided:
- Peas sized, unable to see, painless, attached to the skin - it can be a small sebaceous cyst. It grows so slowly and innocuously. it can move with the movement of the skin as it is attached to the skin by the blocked duct and may be seen as a small dot on the skin.
- Lymph node is attached to the fascia and veins deep down hence can not move easily. Get fixed if infected and get tender, but non-tender and mildly XXXXXXX if not acutely infected. You can move the skin over it freely; are sually more than one as they are present in chain format so that many get enlarged together and are differently palpable.
- Can not be cancer.
I would advise you the following:
- Please check the way I have just explained above so that you can give me the feedback.
- You may please get this checked by clinical examination by a General Surgeon, have ultrasound and FNAC if thought fruitful and needed in such a case.This will confirm the diagnosis and the need for any further treatment or to keep it under observation alone.

I hope this answer helps you, please feel free to ask for further relevant queries if you feel that there is a gap of communication.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Yogesh D