Suggest treatment for an enlarged prostate in an elderly person

Dr. P. T. Patil

Urologist

Posted on Mon, 22 Aug 2016 in Urinary and Bladder Problems
Question: After a cortizone/gel injection into a knee, has it ever been associated with lessening urine stream?
My husband, 82, feels that his prostate has been affected by this shot, given three days ago.
Answered by Dr. P. T. Patil 11 minutes later
Brief Answer:
It could be just a coincidence .

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for query.

Based on the facts that you have posted your husband was given intra articular injection of Cortisone in his knee joint 3 days back and has noticed his urine stream to be poor and thinks that the said injection is the cause of his weak stream .

I would state that the poor urinary stream is due to Enlarged Prostate and not due to Cortisone injection ..

This could be just a coincidence .

Give him Tab Tamsulosin(0.4 mg) once daily . Please note that Tomsulosin has side effects like postural hypotension hence has to be taken at bed time .

Hope I have answered your query , please feel free to ask if you have more questions , I shall be happy to help you .

Thanks and Regards.
Dr.Patil.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Arnab Banerjee