Suggest treatment for an ear infection in an elderly person

Dr. Klarida Papaqako

Posted on Wed, 12 Apr 2017 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Question: Hi, I am a 61 year old male. I had a tube removed yesterday from my right ear. It was in for 2 years and 2 months. I also have an ear infection in that ear. Taking antibiotics orally and ear drops twice a day. Will see my doctor next Friday. There is still some drainage going on. Question. I am otherwise healthy. I am not on blood thinners. Would exercise be OK like tread mill? Would kettle bell exercise with a 20 pound weight be OK. Would weight lifting with straining be OK? Thanks
Answered by Dr. Klarida Papaqako 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Treadmill weight lifting and whatever exercises is ok

Detailed Answer:

Thank you for using Healthcaremagic to post your health query.
I read carefully your question and I understand your concern.

All those exercises and weight training be ok, if your body tells you that you can do it. What I mean with that is that in itself the exercises would not cause any harm, but the feeling of drainage gets worse while doing treadmill and that can distract you, or bother.

So my advise is- Go slow and steady and do how much you can.

Hope this is helpful.
Let me know if you need more clarifications.

Dr. Papaqako
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Raju A.T
Follow up: Dr. Klarida Papaqako 39 minutes later
Thanks Dr. Papaqako. Glad you provided a general answer. Of course if my body talks to me like you mentioned I will cool it. Did not ask, but I already decided no swimming. Although I use the silicon pillows, I can wait a week on that one, cause sometimes the pillows leak a bit. I am all set. Thanks again. Very reasonable service. Glad it was offered. Appreciate the general information. Not a topic easily researched at WebMD, etc. Most information was aimed at young pediatric patients. I needed a real person with knowledge. Have a great weekend.
Answered by Dr. Klarida Papaqako 17 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Glad to have been of help

Detailed Answer:

Glad to have been somehow of help.

It is good that you decided no swimming because water can make it worse.

If you don't have other questions, please kindly close and rate the answer.

Have a great weekend too.
Dr. Papaqako