Suggest treatment for an abscess near anus

Dr. Grzegorz Stanko

General Surgeon

Posted on Mon, 6 Oct 2014 in Digestion and Bowels
Question: I have a bump on the outer edge of my anus. I felt it when I would wipe but it didn't hurt. I was awakened the other night when the bump busted open and flooded my underwear with bright red blood. It has since gone down some and has a hole in it where it busted open. Is this a external hemaroid ?
Answered by Dr. Grzegorz Stanko 31 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Detailed below.

Detailed Answer:
Hello!

Thank you for the query.

From your description it might be an abscess which has evacuated by itself. Such abscess can be caused by skin glands infection or skin-rectal connection (fistula). So the hole you have noticed can be such fistula opening. If this is fistula, abscess can recur. That is why I suggest you to consult proctologist with this issue.
Hemorrhoid if gets open bleeds like a vein (as it is nothing more than enlarged vein). Such bleeding is very intense and the blood is usually intense red.

Hope this will help. Feel free to ask further questions.
Regards.