Suggest treatment for amblyopia

Dr. Ramesh Kumar

Ophthalmologist

Posted on Wed, 3 May 2017 in Vision and Eye Disorders
Question: Suggest treatment for amblyopia
Answered by Dr. Ramesh Kumar 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
If patient is motivated and doctor has expertise go for it

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for choosing HCM,

There is still a general belief that amblyopia can be treated only up to various ages,This belief persists despite many recent scientific studies and decades of clinical reports on treatments that yield significant visual improvement and best outcomes in older children and even adult amblyopes.
laboratory studies in the 1960s on animals, such as cats and monkeys, indicated that there was a "critical period" early in life when the visual system develops. In the studies, when one eye of an animal was occluded (covered) shortly after birth, the two-eyed visual system did not develop normally. That is, it was seen that fewer neurons in the visual cortex of the animal's brain responded to the eye that had been occluded after the cover was removed. This lack of response in the animal's brain could be reversed in the study, but only if the occluded eye of the test subject was uncovered or opened during what-was-considered-to-be the brief critical period of development in infancy. These experimental results on animals were then extrapolated to humans and it was then assumed that amblyopia could be reversed only if the human patient was treated very early in life.

Older amblyopic adults are still being told that it is too late for successful treatment of lazy eye is the significant gap in time between when scientific findings are made available and when those findings are put into general practice. In other words, there is a significant time lag between when evidence-based scientific research is released and when it is adopted into professionally recommended treatment guidelines and general health care practice.

According to the The Institute of Medicine's (IOM) 2003 report, Priority Areas for National Action: Transforming Health Care Quality, it takes an average of 17 years before new knowledge generated by evidence-based scientific research, such as randomized clinical trials, is incorporated into general health care practice or widespread clinical practice and even then the application of the knowledge is very uneven.

In short we mean that yes it can be treated but documentation of these treatments will take about 17 years from that.
As per my opinion if patient is motivated and doctor is expert, I would clear him to go for surgery.

Thanks
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Yogesh D