Suggest treatment for allergic reaction to sulfa drugs m

Posted on Mon, 15 Jun 2015 in Medicines and Side Effects
Question: I am deathly allergic to sulfa. I am traveling overseas and just picked up something called Neurofen - is it safe to take? The pharmacist at the apothecary did not understand what a sulfa allergy was. Please help.

Answered by Dr. Anshul Varshney 21 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Nurofen doesn't belong to Sulfa group.

Detailed Answer:
Welcome To HCM. I am Dr Anshul Varshney. I understand your concern.
Nurofen is a drug that contains Ibuprofen and Codeine. It is a pain killer. It's constituents are not of Sulfa group. So you can take the Medicine safely if you don't have allergy to any pain killers or NSAIDs.
Whenever you buy any Medicine from the chemist tell them that you are Allergic to "Sulfa group of antibiotics like Septran". They will understand that.
So Nurofen can be taken by the people having allergy to Sulfa group.
If you have any further query, please ask me.
Stay Healthy.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Prasad
Dr. Anshul Varshney