Suggest treatment for allergic reaction to mushrooms and oyster foods

Dr. Jnikolla

Pulmonologist

Posted on Wed, 22 Mar 2017 in Asthma and Allergy
Question: I breathed in oyster mushrooms while preparing them for dinner with my wife. 15 minutes to a half an hour I experienced mild cough, throat irritation, tightness in chest, reduced breathing capacity, ache all over body. I have taken 4 teaspoons of benydrl 12.5m. symtoms have stopped increasing and are stable. ache body and headache have increased but are managle now. Did use saline nose purge once. Please help! thank you
Answered by Dr. Jnikolla 47 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Allergy reaction due to mushrooms and oyster foods

Detailed Answer:
Hi and welcome in HCM.

Do not worry .This is an allergic reaction from mushrooms and oyster foods.
As you explain this is the first episode to you which means you did not know that you were allergic.
Given the fact it would be better for you to do a check up for alergies after the situation come back normal again.
I can recommend you as follows:
Prick tests
Total and specific IgE in the blood test
Pneumoallergens in the blood
And after having the results the specialist (allergologist) will probably do to you some tests with several foods that contains the ingredients of mushrooms,oysters or other seafood in order to be sure what is safe for you now and on.
Now for the symptoms to relive you can use inhalers (like Ventoline pufs) several times per day related to your breathing condition and i am sure you will be better.Please consult your doctor and he will know for sure the above tests and will advice you further.
Be careful now and on with the foods.
I wish a fast recovery for you.
Feel free to ask me again

Dr.Jolanda
Pulmonologist

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Kampana