Suggest treatment for allergic reaction to internal stitches

Dr. Sumit Bhatti

ENT Specialist

Posted on Tue, 27 May 2014 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Question: I’ve had allergic reaction to internal stitches which resulted to large scars and discoloration on my legs. I had a cracked tooth extracted on Friday and am experiencing a lot of swelling, sinus congestion, numbness, itchy face but no pain. Can they remove the stitches and replace with non dissolving stiches?
Answered by Dr. Sumit Bhatti 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
anti-allergic medication and steroids

Detailed Answer:

Thank you for your query.

1. I am assuming that the cracked tooth that was extracted was on the upper jaw and the stitches were placed on the gum.

2. The first line of treatment would be anti-allergic medication and steroids under antibiotic cover. A Plain Sinus X-ray or CT will help check if any fragment of the tooth persists or has been pushed into the maxillary sinus. Any sinusitis, swelling or spread of infection will also show up.

3. If medication fails, the stitches can be removed. After three days, reapplying stitches in the oral cavity may be unnecessary.

4. The discoloration on the legs needs to be examined directly. You may upload close-up images of both the stitches and the discoloration if possible.

Hope, I have answered your query. Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.

Regards.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Raju A.T