• question-icon

Suggest treatment for allergic reaction to flu vaccine

Posted on Fri, 27 May 2016 in Medicines and Side Effects
Question: Approx 10 years ago I was given a flu vaccine with thiomersol in it. Immediately it was excruciating, then I felt horrible days later I experienced swollen nodule like . They are some times dime size and not sore to as large a. sometimes when half the size of a chicken egg cut lengthwise.They are always sore to touch, to painful and I have myalgia at that time. the nodules never went away. I was tested prior to that incident and found I had high lead and mercury levels. I quit all fish and seafood approx. 12 yrs ago. Is there a treatment for this. the appearance is dermofibromas as was a biopsy years ago. E-mail YYYY@YYYY . Is there a charge for this?

Answered by Dr. Ivo Ditah 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
No, there is no treatment beyond pain management for this

Detailed Answer:
Hi and thank you so much for this query.

I am so sorry to hear about this pain that you have reported and all the surrounding circumstances leading up to this nodule and symptoms. This nodule was formed as a result of a location inflammatory reaction to the products used in this vaccine. This led to excessive production of fibrous tissue which is the case in inflammatory reactions. The accumulation of this is responsible of the nodule and the pains. There is nothing that can be done at this time beyond addressing the pains. However, we could consider surgery to excise this nodule but this would simply not be a very smart decision and it may cause more harm than good. Demofibromas will not progress to cancer and that shouldn’t scare you.

I hope this helps. I wish you well. Feel free to ask for more information and clarifications if need be. Above all, thanks for using our services.
Dr. Ivo Ditah