question-icon

Suggest treatment for allergic reaction to cologne

default
Posted on Fri, 22 May 2015
Question: I just had an episode where a student had on cologne lightly but my eyes imediately was burning and watering, I had instant drainage, thick mucus in my throught, severe coughing, some wheezing and my voice went raspy. My chest felt a little tight and wasn't sure what was going on. I have food allergies and have an epi pen. It felt like a beginning allergic reaction but no throat closing off this time. It lasted for over an hour. What's up and what can I do for next time? It's happened 3 times in 2 months.
doctor
Answered by Dr. Ivo Ditah (2 hours later)
Brief Answer:
Stay away from this student. teh cologne is causing the allergic reaction!

Detailed Answer:
Hi and thank you so much for this query.

I am so sorry to hear about this reaction that you have reported. I have reviewed your information fully and have reasons to believe that you are allergic to the cologne used by this student. If he could accept to stop using it, that would have been the best solution. This might be a difficult task and takes things out of our control. My best advice is that you keep away from this student especially on days that he has this cologne on. If for some reasons you cannot keep away from him, try to have a friendly chat so that he tries not to use it on such days.

In all, avoid being in close contact with this student as much as possible. That is the best way to avoid allergic reactions.

I hope to receive the image for review and more insights on the problem and the way forward from me.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Raju A.T
doctor
Answered by
Dr.
Dr. Ivo Ditah

Internal Medicine Specialist

Practicing since :2002

Answered : 3922 Questions

premium_optimized

The User accepted the expert's answer

Share on
Suggest treatment for allergic reaction to cologne

Brief Answer: Stay away from this student. teh cologne is causing the allergic reaction! Detailed Answer: Hi and thank you so much for this query. I am so sorry to hear about this reaction that you have reported. I have reviewed your information fully and have reasons to believe that you are allergic to the cologne used by this student. If he could accept to stop using it, that would have been the best solution. This might be a difficult task and takes things out of our control. My best advice is that you keep away from this student especially on days that he has this cologne on. If for some reasons you cannot keep away from him, try to have a friendly chat so that he tries not to use it on such days. In all, avoid being in close contact with this student as much as possible. That is the best way to avoid allergic reactions. I hope to receive the image for review and more insights on the problem and the way forward from me.