Suggest treatment for allergic post nasal discharge and GERD

Posted on Tue, 21 Jul 2015 in General Health
Question: Hi,
This is XXXX. i think i have been suffering from a weird disease for the past 3 years it destroyed my life all these years the problem is i don't know what i am breathing what i am releasing from my nose because very bad smell which all contains bad gases coming from my nose almost every minute of the day and that is not the only problem i cant eat enough food ,food is not digested properly because i think that the mucus accumulating in my throat which coming from my nose (for every 5 minutes) goes into my stomach and this life is very annoying,frustrating & embarrassing evey day.....i went to ENT specialist and he suggested me take Radiology Scan (please find the attachment) and after seeing the results the Doctor told me that i have to undergo a nose Surgery...Now my question is clear that is this Nose Surgery really gives me the solution that i wanted (another life) you know what i mean and is this problem is anything related to not digesting the food properly ( it is very difficult for me to eat a
nything even when i am hungry).........please suggest me on this ...if that really helped me i will be very happy. please find the Attachments...
Thanks & Regards, XXXXXXX
Answered by Dr. Krunal Karade 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
You are most probably having combination of allergic PND & GERD .

Detailed Answer:
Hi XXXXXXX ,

I have read your query , seen your picture and understand your concern.

As per your clinical history it appears that you are most probably having combination of allergic post nasal discharge (PND) coming to throat from nose & gastroesophageal reflux disease (GERD). Both acting synergistic in combination .

In my opinion , medical line of management should be use first before going for Nose surgery since you are having only minimal mucosal thickening with mild deviated septum .

Nose Surgery will decrease your symptoms but you need to take medication even after surgery . Only Nose surgery will not give full relief .

For stomach disturbance , you will need to go through upper gastrointestinal (UGI) endoscopy to rule out any Gastrointestinal pathology.

If I were your treating Doctor for this case , I would advice
Use Saline nasal spray thrice daily like solspre ,
Salt water gargle twice daily ,
Combination Steroid nasal spray with antihistamine 2 puff each nostril twice daily like Duonase nasal spray &
Tablet Esomeprazole D for stomach disturbance .

You will get relief .

You will need to see your doctor to get a prescription.

Hope this information helpful to you .If you have any further questions I will be happy to help.

Regards.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Vinay Bhardwaj
Dr. Krunal Karade

ENT Specialist