Owl Image

Suggest treatment for allergic conjunctivitis in a child

Excellent

Ophthalmologist
Question
My 8 years old son suffers from certain kind of allergic conjuctivitis. The doctor refers to it as Vernal Allergic Conjuctivitis / Limbal Vernal Conjuctivitis / Vernal Keratoconjuctivitis / Hypermetropic Astigmatism / Tarsal Vernal Karetoconjuctivitis.

He is suffering this from the age of 5. I have showed him to 4 specialists till date out of them 2 are pediatric eye specialists. Doctors also say that once he reaches teen age this problem should go. But don't guarantee it at the same time. Is it true?

My son also has specs since then. His eyes get itchy and a red circle is formed around his eyeballs. Also there is some abnormal white patch gets generated around the eyeball. The eye lids get swollen. This happens more in the summer and also whenever he has cold. Even his cold is allergic as per the doctors.

His eyes were big and clean white until he was 5. Now his eyes are red and swollen throughout the year.

Our specialist has suggested a seek homeopathic opinion to treat his allergy problem. He does not recommend steroids as they can have bad side effects.

I want your advice on how to take this ahead or there is any better treatment is available for such conjunctivitis in children.
Mon, 18 Aug 2014 in Vision and Eye Disorders

Answered by Dr. Dadapeer K 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
He needs to continue same treatment.

Detailed Answer:
Hello
welcome to Health care magic

I am Dr. DADAPEER K, an ophthalmologist and I answer health problems related to eye.

It seems from the history that your 8 year old son is diagnosed with vernal conjunctivitis and is on treatment.

Vernal conjunctivitis is a common allergic conjunctivitis seen in children more common in boys. It usually resolves by 12-15 years. The treatment is by use of steroid eye drops in acute episode and use of drugs like anti allergic drugs like olopatadine and immunomodulating drugs like tacrolimus, cyclosporine...

I reviewed the treatment history and your doctors have tried all the modes of treatment and treatment is in right direction.

The treatment is by continuing the drugs Cyclommune Eye Drops, Pataday Eye Drops, Tacroz Ointment.
Along with this he needs to avoid exposure to dust and other allergens.

In case of acute exacerberation steroid eye drops can be used under guidance by ophthalmologist.
Homeopathic drugs like ophthacare can be used in allergic conjunctivitis after consultation with homeopathic doctor.

Please write to me for any further questions.

Hope the information is helpful to you.

Thank you
with regards