Suggest treatment for alcohol induced constipation

Dr. Mohammed Taher Ali

Posted on Thu, 10 Sep 2015 in Digestion and Bowels
Question: Stool doesnot pass but feel as if one is fresh and gets afeeling of passing stool.no pain gas or any other problem. Mostly happens after consuming alcohol on previous day.
Answered by Dr. Mohammed Taher Ali 44 minutes later
Brief Answer:
This is due to alcohol induced constipation.

Detailed Answer:
Dear XXXX, Hi

Good evening.

I can understand your concern.
I went through your problem narrated in the query.
I am of the opinion that you have some sort of constipation which is caused by alcohol intake.

Alcohol has been shown to cause constipation because of the side effects associated with drinking. Dehydration & electrolyte imbalance (resulting from increased urination) is very common after drinking alcohol and are responsible for decrease bowel movements contributing to constipation.

My advice is take plenty of oral fluids (plain water or juices), a fiber rich diet such as vegetables and fruits which can prevent the constipation in this way.

Hope to have answered your query however I shall be happy to answer your follow-up query if any.

Good night & take care.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Raju A.T
Follow up: Dr. Mohammed Taher Ali 8 hours later
What treatment should be done
Answered by Dr. Mohammed Taher Ali 3 hours later
Brief Answer:
Laxative is effective if you have constipation.

Detailed Answer:
Dear XXXXXXX XXXXXXX Hi

Thanks for your reply.
For the symptomatic relief of constipation you can take a laxative in the form of Bisacodyl along with the suggestions made earlier. However, if your symptoms recur again, a surgical consultation is recommended to rule out other causes of constipation.

Best regards.