Suggest treatment for adenoids

Posted on Sat, 19 Apr 2014 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Question: Hi, My kid of 4 years old snores a lot. We visited doctor around 2 months back, and after checking x-ray, doctor told he got adenoids. Doctor prescribed to use nasal spray. We have been using spray for sometime and can see difference. These days he is not snoring much compare to earlier. Two weeks earlier, he complained pain near neck. We took him to doctor and doctor prescribed to use antibiotic. It subsided, and he was fine. From yester day onwards he again complaining pain near neck. What do you think the problem could be? could it be because of adenoids. Also please suggest us on what symptoms we can go for surgery for him to remove adenoids? Thanks XXXX
Answered by Dr. Prahlad Duggal 36 minutes later
Brief Answer: If snoring mouth breathing persist, go for surgery Detailed Answer: Hi, Thanks for the query. Enlarged adenoids can present with mouth breathing, snoring, drooling of saliva and some changes in face of the child. These symptoms warrant the removal of adenoids by surgery. Adenoid can be cause of retained infection in the nose throat region and can lead to repeated acute symptoms of infection like rhinorrhea, fever and nasal obstruction. Many a times there is an accompanying infection in the tonsils also and this can be a cause of pain in the neck and adenoids alone usually does not present with pain in neck. So, you need to consult your ENT to rule out any inflammation of the tonsils also. So, in brief, if there are symptoms of mouth breathing, snoring and nasal obstruction are persisting and some facial changes (adenoid faces) are there, please go ahead with surgery. If the problem is only occasional fever and nothing else, a course of antibiotics with nasal decongestant drops should solve the problem. Feel free to ask another query. Regards
Dr. Prahlad Duggal

ENT Specialist