Suggest treatment for adenoids in children
There is no need to rush into surgery. Try medication first.
Thank you for your query.
1. To avoid surgery for adenoids, it is important to treat your daughter with medication if her symptoms are increasing and frequent.
2. While it is true that the the adenoids hypertrophy (enlarge) in all children between the ages of 3 to 7 years and then regress, most children do not require medication. They do tend to snore sometimes, with a few episodes of colds.
3. Children whose symptoms (snoring, mouth breathing, frequents colds, running nose, ear infections, adenoid facies, stunted groth and so on) keep worsening are considered for surgery only if medication fails to control their symptoms.
4. Medication includes an anti-allergic, mucolytic (such as Syp. Relent), a steroid nasal spray, supervised steam inhalation / nebulization and occasional use of decongestant nasal drops (0.05% Xylometazoline) at times of severe nasal obstruction. Any medication should be under the strict supervision of your doctor.
5. It is important to get a baseline X-ray done. A lateral skull X-ray for adenoids can be repeated after a couple of months to check the regression of the adenoids, if any. Sometimes, the obstruction may be in the nose.
6. In the last few years, adenoid surgeries have reduced by about 50% as compared to earlier decades in XXXXXXX due to better medical treatment options now available.
I hope that I have answered your query. If you have any more questions I will be available to answer them.
The User accepted the expert's answer
Get personalised answers from verified doctor in minutes across 80+ specialties
- Adenoid hypertrophy treatment for children in acupressure
- Recurrent canker sores in children suggest the treatment
- Herbal treatment for adenoids in children
- Suggest treatment for ocd treatment
- Suggest treatment for chapped hands in children
- Suggest treatment for tonsils and adenoids
- Suggest treatment for enlarged adenoids
- Suggest homeopathic treatment for adenoids
- Adenoids in children ayurvedic treatment
- Ayurvedic treatment for enlarged adenoids in children