Suggest treatment for adenoiditis

Dr. Priyanka Aggarwal

ENT Specialist

Posted on Fri, 3 Mar 2017 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Question: I am trying to connect a set of symptoms for my child to form a picture of what is really going on.

Trouble concentrating in school, even simple things like the air conditioning kicking on can distract him

Occasional bed wetting

I have noticed what might be mouth breathing to some mild degree

Doctors and dentists have commented on his huge adnoids/tonsils to treat extent that one dentist didn't want to work on him because he thought that anesthesia combined with that could endanger breathing.

And last, I notice a very subtle occasional darker tinge of color around his mouth. this one is tough to spot, subtle, but some days I just do a double take and find myself trying to figure out if it is his skin or a word truck of the light.
Answered by Dr. Priyanka Aggarwal 21 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Adenoiditis

Detailed Answer:
Hi
Welcome to healthcare magic and thanks for putting up the query

Adenoiditis is enlarged adenoids tissue behind the nose because of which child is a mouth breather. Mouth breathing causes dryness of mouth and even tooth problems like caries.
Such children have a full looking face because of difficulty in breathing.
If you feel your child has adenoiditis, please get a X-ray nasopharynx lateral view for adenoids done and send me the reports.

The problem of concentration is not associated with adenoids or tonsils. Child might feel tired. If your kid is having any concentration difficulty, my advise to you is please consult a child psychiatrist.

Bed wetting is also not due to adenoids. It is again to be consulted with a psychiatrist. Sir sometimes kids have some problem they are not able to express. A child psychiatrist will help to find out and manage that.

For adenoids, you can put nasal drops just before the child goes to sleep..the adenoids regress with age but if they don't, they need to be operated and removed. Send me x-ray pictures so that I can suggest you better.

any further questions are always welcome

Thanks and regards
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Vaishalee Punj