Suggest treatment for acute transverse myelitis

Dr. Prasanna Heijebu

Posted on Tue, 25 Nov 2014 in Brain and Spine
Question: I am 33yrs old (male) suffering from ACCUTE TRANSVERSE MYELITIS since 2013. Symptoms started in 2012 but doctors could diagnose this disorder after a year through MRI.

Reports show that : Abnormal hyperintense signalx is noted in C3-C6 level and hyperintense signal is also noted in dorsal cord at D1-D2 level with a minimum post contrast enhancement in cervical region and Mild diffuse disc bulges are noted C3-C4, C4-C5 & C6-C7 without significant cord.

I am taking treatment form a Neuro Physician. Presently I am on Medication and Physiotherapy on daily basis. I am at home from more than a year, had to depend on family members for some daily chores, walks with walker but only few steps. Bowel problem and other symptoms are also there. I cannot find much improvement even after taking steroids and other medicines.

Kindly let us know if there is any treatment available other than steroids or who is the best doctor available in XXXXXXX or Andhra Pradesh (INDIA).
Answered by Dr. Prasanna Heijebu 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Plasmapheresis and IVIG's are addl treatments-TM

Detailed Answer:
Hello Sir,

I understand your query and concern.

Transverse myelitis/TM is an extremely difficult disease to manage considering its nature of pathology.

Apart from steroids,Plasma exchange and IVIG(intravenous immunoglobulins) can be pretty useful to control the disease manifestations.

This disease should be specifically treated by Neurophysician.

The best neuro physician in Andhra pradesh in my opinion is:

Dr.K.Venkateshwaralu.
MD.DM(NEUROLOGY)
Doctors plaza ,Maharanipeta. XXXXXXX
Ph-0891-0000,0000.

In Mumbai:

Dr XXXXXXX Patankar.
MD.DM(Neurology) XXXXXXX XXXXXXX
pH-0000 ext 248.

I hope i have answered your query at the moment,
Post your further query if any.
Thankyou.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Vaishalee Punj
Follow up: Dr. Prasanna Heijebu 18 minutes later
Thanks alot!!
Can u also let me knw the recovery status since im using the medicines for so long bt still i cannot see much improvement & how long would it take to cure.
Brief Answer:
Cure and Recovery are virtually impossible in TM.

Detailed Answer:
Hello Sir.

Welcome Back.

Transverse myelitis is a progressive disease with limited successful treatment outcomes.

I am extremely sorry to say that cure is virtually not possible in TM.
Improvement can be expected depending on the degree of rehabilitative care taken and the timing of the onset of such physical therapy in the form of daily stretching routines and muscle strengthening programmes.

Overall the results are disappointing since many of the patients go on to develop contractures and permanent disability of the muscles.

Post your further queries,if any.
Thank you.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Vinay Bhardwaj