Suggest treatment for acute tonsillitis

ENT Specialist
Question
Hello Doctor,

I have been having discomfort with my left tonsil, slightly below the throat and frequent opening and closing feeling in left ear. I am not having any sort of pain, but feels a bit rough at times when swallowing. I took a look at my left tonsil with a torch light and fount small yellow spots on them but not tonsil stones and yes my left ear keeps popping in and out. Please advise

Thanks, XXXXXXX
Posted Tue, 5 Aug 2014 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems

Answered by Dr. Rajkishori Godhi 26 minutes later
Brief Answer:
tonsil infection

Detailed Answer:
Hello and thanks for using healthcaremagic,

From the symptoms that you described and the pics you uploaded it looks like you are suffering from acute tonsillitis.

Acute tonsillitis is frequently viral in nature, so only symptomatic treatment will suffice. Take an anti inflammatory like tylenol or ibuprofen after checking your dose.

Do warm salt water gargling 5 times daily and avoid cold foods and air conditioning.

The ear and the back of the throat are connected to each other by a tube called the eustachian tube. Infection from the nose and throat can spread to the ear via this tube. The popping sound that you are hearing indicates that infection has already spread to the tube. There is a chance that your ear will also get infected. You can instill decongestant nose drops like otrivin to keep the tube patent. Patent tube will ventilate the ears better and prevent ear infection. Instill 3 drops in each nostril 3 times a day for 6 days and follow it up with steam inhalation.

If you do not feel better then see a doctor soon because you may need a course of antibiotics.

Dr Rajkishori Godhi.