• question-icon

Suggest treatment for acute knee pain

Posted on Thu, 20 Apr 2017 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Question: Hi Doctor,
I am suffering from acute knee pain from yesterday.
i was just sitting in office and it started slowly and then increased.
pain is on left side of knee and it triggers only when i bend the knee or move it at a particular angle.
if i am resting on right side and then fold my knee then its fine but folding yhe knee on left side is very painful.
what can be the cause of this.
Answered by Dr. Chander Mohan Singh 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Get skyline view xray of knee done.

Detailed Answer:

I have gone through your query.

Pain at your age may be due to patellofemoral arthritis, which is due to squatting exercise or upstairs or may be due to meniscus injury which occurs due to previous fall or trauma.

It may be due just sprain of ligaments.

All you need is to have painkillers like tab. aceclofenac100mg +thiocolchicoside4mg twice a day by prescription of orthopedic surgeon.

I also advise you to have visit orthopedic surgeon, he may do local examination of you knee and of needed may advise you skyline view of affected knee.

Also send me the report of xray.

Avoid squatting, upstairs.

Apply hot packs.

I hope it helps.

Thanks,

Dr.CHANDER XXXXXXX XXXXXXX
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Remy Koshy
Follow up: Dr. Chander Mohan Singh 11 minutes later
i went through a hair line fracture in my left foot 2 weeks back. so i was applying more pressure on right leg only. but this week i was normal.
can that be a cause for this pain?
i am overweight as well.
Answered by Dr. Chander Mohan Singh 4 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Definitely.

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for the response.

You haven't tell this previously.

That's very important point.

Keep on taking medication as advised.

Try not to put more pressure on knee.

Once pain subsides try to lose,weight.

If still you have to stand or walk you can use hinged knee brace.

Thanks,

Dr.CHANDER XXXXXXX XXXXXXX
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Kampana
Follow up: Dr. Chander Mohan Singh 3 days later
hi doctor,
the pain is very less now. i took zerodol for 2 days. do i need to do any exercises for this so that this does not comes back or any precautions like avoid stairs.
i am trying to reduce weight but anything else except that. should i walk more?
Answered by Dr. Chander Mohan Singh 3 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Avoid any type of exercise till 7_10 days.

Detailed Answer:

Thanks for the response.

After taking medicine for about 7_10 days only then think of any exercise like quadriceps strengthening etc.

Avoid prolong walking or standing as much as you can.

Avoid squatting and upstairs.

Thanks,

Sr.CHANDER XXXXXXX XXXXXXX
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Vaishalee Punj
Follow up: Dr. Chander Mohan Singh 30 hours later
Hi Doctor,
my pain was gone on day before yesterday but today i have unbearable pain. i took zerodol sp tablets but no relief in pain. please suggest what to do
Answered by Dr. Chander Mohan Singh 5 hours later
Brief Answer:
Get xray done.

Detailed Answer:

Thanks for the response.

If pain again come then it means that medicine is not effective and patient is not taking rest.

You have to follow all my instructions my friend.

Instead of zerodol only have tab.aceclofenac100mg+thiocolchicoside4mg twice a day and tab.pregabalin75mg+ methylcobalamine750mcg at night by prescription of family doctor as these medication is not over the counter.

Avoid prolong sitting, standing, walking.

Avoid upstairs and squatting.

Do quadriceps strengthening exercises.

Apply hot packs.

Also get xray knee skyline view and xray both knees standing view and send me the report.

Thanks,

Dr.CHANDER XXXXXXX XXXXXXX
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Yogesh D
Follow up: Dr. Chander Mohan Singh 18 hours later
hi doctor,
today the pain was unbearable.. i went in imergency and there the doctor told this can be possibly a miniscus tear.. he has asked for a mri check and apply ice packs and take pain killer.
what can be symptoms of miniscus tear?
what should i do
Brief Answer:
Get MRI SCAN.

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for the response.

In meniscus tear there occur pain, swelling of knee joint followed by stiffness.

You can bend your knee but walking is very painfull, but these symptoms can go within 5 dayscand reappear after prolong staStanding or upstairs.

This can make your knee catch, pop, or lock. You may not be able to straighten it. Your knee may feel "wobbly" or give way without warning.

I usually do certain physical test like mcmurry test on my patients, I hope your doctor may have done this test, that's why he advise you for MRI scan.

So you must get MRI SCAN as it will tell about condition in details, of meniscus and other structures of knee joint

I hope you got the point.

Thanks,

Dr.CHANDER XXXXXXX XXXXXXX
Follow up: Dr. Chander Mohan Singh 14 hours later
sending you my mri report. please check
Brief Answer:
Arthroscopy.

Detailed Answer:

I have seen your MRI SCAN.

It says partial tear/strain of anterior cruciate ligament, sprain of lateral collateral ligament it means you must have trauma to knee joint or prolong squatting, upstair previously.

It also says para meniscal cyst.

So If I am your treating doctor, I would definitely advise you diagnostic arthroscopy for confirming the diagnosis as MRI alone can't be sufficient to make such diagnosis, also if partial tear is present some patients need debridement of that tear (sometimes depending upon the physical examination of the patient).

For lateral collateral ligament sprain, I usually advise hinged knee brace to the patient, so you must wear it.

Arthroscopy will also tell about the cyst of meniscus whether it should be removed or not.

You can also discuss all that with orthopaedic surgeon, I have explain to you.

Further queries are welcome.

Thanks,

Dr.CHANDER XXXXXXX XXXXXXX
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Prasad
Dr. Chander Mohan Singh

Orthopaedic Surgeon