Suggest treatment for acute gastritis

Dr. Chakravarthy Mazumdar

Posted on Sat, 25 Mar 2017 in Digestion and Bowels
Question: quick onset of bloating. fully distended stomach within as little as few seconds up to 3 minutes - with pain rate of 7 but discomfort level of 10. haven't been able link to any particular foods or drinks. only 2 things that works quickly are coke ( the beverage) and anything with ginger In it. during these episodes it hard to walk without help, have to usually unbutton pants and lift bra away from top stomach area, also become hard to breathe deeply if it's ' a bad attack' -symptoms can last few minutes ( if get to the soda in time) to over an hour. these attacks started after my appendectomy around the same time I became allergic a few foods ( egg whites being main - haven't any foods with egg whites in years now.. surgery was April 2008.) if try to get to hospital during attack, it generally subsides before could make it. hard to explain when showing symptoms.
Answered by Dr. Chakravarthy Mazumdar 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
It is Acute gastritis

Detailed Answer:
Hello, Thank you for posting your question on HealthcareMagic.
The symptoms that you are describing are those of acute severe gastritis which is inflammation of the stomach wall.
It could be triggered by spicy or oily food over the counter remedies may not help.
I would recommend you to start Tab Esmoperazole. You would need to get it prescribed by your local physician and start using it .
If it doesn't come down please see a gasteroenterologist and get an upper GI endoscopy done.
Hope this helps
Best wishes
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Remy Koshy
Follow up: Dr. Chakravarthy Mazumdar 5 hours later
I had read/heard that taking acid reducers ( like Pepcid) for extended amounts of time was damaging to certain organs like kidneys.. Is that still a concern and is the medicine you mentioned part of that drug family?
Thank you for getting back to me so quickly earlier. I appreciate it. One thing I forgot to mention was that I have gone months without an attack before but lately they get as bad as one a day. I know, I know, go to a doctor. :)
Answered by Dr. Chakravarthy Mazumdar 2 minutes later
Brief Answer:
No

Detailed Answer:
Hello again well no acid reducers will not damage the kidney only thing they would do is reduce the acidity and in turn making you more prone for infections.
As far as kidney is concerned they are the safest group of medications.
If our discussion is beneficial to you please give a review.
Best wishes