• question-icon

Suggest treatment for acute enteritis

Posted on Mon, 7 Aug 2017 in Digestion and Bowels
Question: Ate Mexican food today - mega salt. Stomach feels seriously distended, legs,ache and have had moderate diarrhea. Can't sleep, breathing is strained a bit and only semi comfortable position is on back sitting up in bed. Had a 151/101 blood pressure reading a couple weeks ago. Any suggestions ? Thank you.
Answered by Dr. Ramesh Kumar 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
Most likely you are having acute enteritis.

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for choosing HealthcareMagic for your query.
Have gone through your details and i appreciate your concerns.

Most likely you are suffering from Gastroenteritis.It is an intestinal infection marked by diarrhoea, cramps, nausea, vomiting and aches.As symptoms are related to food intake you are suffering from acute phase of enteritis.Usually viral just lasts a day or two, but occasionally they may persist as long as 10 days.

Treatment-

Drink plenty of fluids to avoid dehydration–You need to drink more than usual to replace the fluids lost from diarrhoea. Water is best, but you could also try fruit juice and soup.
Take paracetamol for aches and pains.
Take omeprazole 20 mg for stomach distention.
Get plenty of rest.
If you feel like eating, try small amounts of plain foods, such as soup, rice, pasta and bread.
Blood pressure has nothing to do with it.
However 101 diastolic is moderate hypertension and should be treated once relieved from enteritis.
Thanks!

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Kampana
Dr. Ramesh Kumar

Gastroenterologist