Suggest treatment for acute deep vein thrombosis causing pain

Dr. Hardik Sanghvi

Hematologist

Posted on Thu, 10 Sep 2015 in General Health
Question: My spouse(wife) is suffering from acute deep vein thrombosis pain. Is there some way in which this pain can be ameliorated, either through a change in dosing scheduling, i.e., splitting the dose, or in more closely monitoring blood clotting times. The pain sometimes seems to dissipate depending upon the time interval after dosing, but sometimes not.
Answered by Dr. Hardik Sanghvi 38 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Acetaminophen, tramadol, fentanyl, oxycodon can be used.

Detailed Answer:
Hi, dear
I have gone through your question. I can understand your concern.
Your wife has acute deep vein thrombosis.
She is taking warferrin to prevent clotting.

Pain is a problem in many patients after acute dvt.
Routine pain killers like aspirin or non steroidal anti inflammatory drugs like ibuprofen should be avoided. It increase the risk of bleeding along with warferin.

Painkillers like acetaminophen, tramadol, oxycodon or fentanyl can be used to manage the pain. These drugs are prescription based medicine and required dosage individualization. so consult your and take it according to his advice.

Continue your warferrin according to your prothrombin time and INR value.

Hope I have answered your question, if you have doubt then I will be happy to answer. Thanks for using health care magic. Wish you a very good health.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Raju A.T