question-icon

Suggest treatment for acute constipation and abdominal pain after a complete hysterectomy

Posted on Fri, 5 Jun 2020
Question: My daughter, 47 year old, had complete hysterectomy on 6/30/16. Spent one night in hospital and released. Has experienced extreme pain due to acute constipation....taken to emergency room and had xrays, finger probes and susequently, two enemas. Today she is feeling extremely lithargic, crampy and has experienced some abdominal pains. Is this normal?
Answered by Dr. T Shobha Deepak (1 hour later)
Brief Answer:
Post operative status could lead to acute constipation

Detailed Answer:
Hi

Greetings of the day
Dear Madam

Any Abdominal or pelvic surgery sometimes leads to decreased intestinal motility , this along with the post operative state leads to acute constipation . In the absence of gross distension of abdomen and absence of vomiting there is no cause for concern. It should ve self limiting and subside on its own.

I would suggest you the following

1. Plenty of oral fluids: 2-3 liter of water a day
2. High fibre diet: 2 servings of vegetable salad and fruits everyday
3. Oral Laxatives like Lactulose will be helpful

If the symptoms still persist then do consult your primary care physician for further assessment

Do get back to me if you need any further assistance , will be glad to assist you

Take Care

Best regards
Dr Shobha Deepak

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Prasad
Dr. T Shobha Deepak