Suggest treatment for acute bronchitis

Dr. Saddiq Ulabidin

Posted on Tue, 6 Sep 2016 in Medicines and Side Effects
Question: Yes, I was on vacation the week of July 17, 2016 and came down with nausea and fever. This lasted about three days and then congestion in chest began. I was diagnosed with bronchitis. Received BReo inhaler and prednisone. Took medicines as prescribed. Last week, went to urgent care and was told I now had reactive airway disease. Received two different inhalers and more prednisone if needed. I am still coughing and am getting somewhat concerned as I am to fly to Europe on sept 10. While on vacation, the week of July 17, I got into a hot tub at the cabin we rented. I wonder if that contributed to what I have now. How long does it take to heal with RAD?

Can you give me an estimated time for reply?
Answered by Dr. Saddiq Ulabidin 3 hours later
Brief Answer:
May need chest xrays, blood work up and antibiotics course

Detailed Answer:
Hi! Welcome to health care magic! Thanks for sharing your concerns with us. We will try to help you in best way possible. First of all, it is sad to know what you had gone through.

Based on the history you have shared, it can be acute bronchitis or other lower respiratory tract infection and trigger may be allergic or reactive but now most probably infection has set in, which isn't allowing the complete recovery. Here the history of old smoking or having the same attacks in the past is very important. If no such incidence was ever observed and in abscence of any possible longterm smoking or industrial smoke, most probable cause is infections. The cause you suspect, regarding that hot tub incidence during vacation can cause allergic exacerbation of sudden exposure to cold after hot water bath but that should have responded to the inhalers of steroids and bronchodilators so now is the time to rule out infections.

It needs to be confirmed on chest Xray for any patch or consolidation, complete blood picture for white cell counts including eosinophil and neutrophils to differentiate between allergic and infective causes as well as later in the stages, pulmonary function tests may be needed to confirm the diagnosis. Prohylactic antibiotics cover with augmentin or azithromycin may be started after discussing with your GP alongwith the medications you are using already. Avoid exposure to cold and diets containing high amounts of lipids and fats. Using steam inhalations decongestants will also help with the symptoms.

If the symptoms persist then considering a pulmonogist opinion should be considered for a confirmed diagnosis to avoid any such incidence in the furture. Wishing you a speedy recovery. If you have any more questions, feel free to ask. Regards.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Nagamani Ng
Follow up: Dr. Saddiq Ulabidin 10 hours later
Thank you! Am actually feeling much better this morning :)
Answered by Dr. Saddiq Ulabidin 16 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Closing remarks

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for the feedback. I am glad that you have started to feel better. In future in case of any query, you can directly approach me through my profile. Regards.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Vaishalee Punj