Suggest treatment for acne
first line treatment is a topical retinoid and bacteria treatment
HI, thanks for using healthcare magic
Acne is due to 4 main factors: (1) presence of a particular bacteria on the skin
(2)excess production of sebum which is a oily substance that is made in the skin
(3)inflammation of the skin
(4)plugging/blockage of hair follicles
The best treatment would involve treatment of all or most of these factors.
The current medical guidelines recommend using a topical retinoid and anti bacterial cream or oral antibiotic combination initially.
This combination tends to work well. The retinoid aspect helps breaks down the 'bumps', reduces inflammation and the topical antibiotics would treat the bacteria
Benzoyl peroxide also helps with treating bacteria and also reduces inflammation as well
(1) you can use epiduo- a combination of a retinoid and benzoyl peroxide
(2)also possible to use meds separately eg a retinoid on its own eg adapalene or topical tretinoin or tazarotene
(3)oral antibiotics can be used eg doxycycline
Summary: (1) if the acne is severe, should see your doctor about getting a cream with a retinoid since these need a prescription.
You would use this retinoid with something for the bacteria - either benzoyl peroxide or an antibiotic
(2)if it is not severe then you can consider benzoyl peroxide plus a topical antibiotic such as clindamycin or erthromycin
I hope this helps, feel free to ask any other questions
not a known side effect
Sorry about the delayed reply
Benzoyl peroxide is not known to affect skin pigmentation though everyone reacts differently to medication.
It works to treat infection and inflammation.
It is used to prevent future breakouts of acne, it unfortunately would not help much with the marks that are there from previous breakouts.
This means it would reduce the chance of the acne coming back.
AS mentioned, some persons need additional medication because the benzoyl is not enough.
IN terms of natural remedies, some persons recommend the use of apple cider vinegar, probioitic, tea tree oil, coconut oil.
Cleansing the face gently at least twice daily would also help
Please feel free to ask any thing else
The User accepted the expert's answer
Get personalised answers from verified doctor in minutes across 80+ specialties
- Suggest treatment for acne and blemishes
- Suggest medication for acne treatment
- Suggest treatment for severe acne
- What treatment is suggested for acne
- Suggest treatment for acne on forehead
- Suggest treatment for body acne
- Suggest treatment for acne scars
- Suggest treatment for acne and pimples
- Suggest treatment for acne
- Suggest treatment for cystic acne
- On insulin for diabetes. Missing periods. Pregnancy test negative. What...
- Having cramps and periods. Took advil. What should I do to get relief...
- I am 20 years old. Trying to increase height. Suggest some medicine
- Having sarcoidosis disease. What happens when they come into contact...
- After waking up there is a loud pop and the hearing improves. Looking...
- Put oxygen in nose during colonoscopy. Started sneezing and runny nose....
- Had intercourse. Getting burning sensation when urinating. What are the...
- what does Minor linear atelectasis and fibrosis posterobasal segment...
- Have blocked bile duct. Scan could not found gall bladder. What is the...
- Ultrasound showed benign cyst in kidney. Blood test showed low vitamin...