Suggest treatment for acne

Dr. Rahul Kumar

Dermatologist

Posted on Mon, 16 Jun 2014 in Skin Hair and Nails
Question: Hi!
I am suffering from Acne and have been seeing a dermatologist for the past 4 months now with poor results.
I am on Isotretinoin for the past 2 months but the dosage is just 10mg/day (I weigh 50Kgs)...My major concern was my white heads but they have now flared into cystic acne..
I went for a second opinion today and I've been handed a list of tablets and asked to discontinue Isotretinoin. Although the first Doc's prescription isn't working, I know the products are right (perhaps the dosages aren't). The new Doc's prescriptions include
Vit A capsules (25,000 IU) - twice a day
Co-trimoxazole Tablets - twice a day
Cefadrox 500mg - twice a day
Glencet tablets 5mg -once a day

I have no clue what any of these do..I do not want to step off Isotretinoin..should I take any of these? Could you explain me what the medicines are for and which should I use without one reacting with another?
Answered by Dr. Rahul Kumar 40 minutes later
Brief Answer:
photograph required

Detailed Answer:
Hello
Isotrerinoin is the ultimate drug for acne, and is given when no other drugs are working.
The problem is side effects. Isotrerinoin can have severe side effects like liver damage and deranged lipid profile and hence cannot be continued for very long at one stretch.
The other doctor has prescribed you vitamin A which is similar in action to Isotrerinoin. Along with that he has prescribed you antibiotics. Probably you have lot of pus filled lesions on your face.
Please Upload a photograph of involved area.
This will help me in giving a closer diagnosis and a better way ot management.
Let me know if you have any other doubts.
Thank you
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Yogesh D
Follow up: Dr. Rahul Kumar 28 minutes later
Photos uploaded. Left cheek has developed 2 lesions just a day back.
Are the antibiotics a good bet? Can I take them with Isotretinoin?
The first Doc had put me on Azithral initially but it was too slow hence he switched to other drugs.
I would like to get rid of active acne so that I can move to removing acne scars. Can I request my Doc to give me a Glycolic Peel? Bdw, I have undergone 3-4 Sal Peels..Personally, I found them of no use. Could it have been low strength?

Could you please tell me how to get rid of my white heads? Are cleanups good?
Answered by Dr. Rahul Kumar 22 hours later
Brief Answer:
Doxycycline, adapalene and clindamycin

Detailed Answer:
Hello
Thanks for the photographs.
Although there are cysts on face but it doesnt require isotretinoin.
The antibiotics prescribed to you are too strong.
These are not required.
You can take capsule doxycycline daily for 15 days.
Also I would like to know what topical creams you are applying.
Adapalene gel in night and clindamycin gel in day will help you.
Thank you