Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
144 Doctors are Online

Suggest treatment for acne with pigmentation on back

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

Practicing since : 2006
Answered : 2015 Questions
I have a scarred back. This is due to acne problem. This problem had been building up since I was in school, but I never bothered much because I dint care to wear clothes that expose my back. But now I do.
I have been scrubbing my back once a week and using an antinacterial soap to wash my back.But the scars seem deep rooted. Can you pls advise me on next steps?
Posted Fri, 22 Aug 2014 in Skin Hair and Nails
Answered by Dr. Kalpana Pathak 32 minutes later
Brief Answer:
details below

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for writing to us.
Treatment in acne with pigmentation and only pigmentation with no active acne lesion differs.
If its only pigmentation, using a lightening soap like dermadew lite/glyahakoj soap, lightening cream like hydroquinone cream and sessions of chemical peels would help.
If its acne with pigmentation, initially treatment would be mainly offered to control acne. We will start with antiacne soaps, antiacne creams and oral medicines along with chemical peels. Chemical peels would reduce your acne as well as scar and spots.

I would like to know
1)if you still get acne lesions or the lesions have healed with marks and scars.
2)If acne is present then
a) as per your assessment its mild or severe( involves back extensively)
b)type of Lesions- small round bumps, pus filled lesions, nodules

Also an image of your back showing the marks would be really helpful in prescribing treatment.
So answer these queries and upload a pic, we will take the discussion further.
Hoping to hear from you soon.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Follow-up: Suggest treatment for acne with pigmentation on back 5 hours later
Dear Dr Kalpana, Thanks much for your advise. Appreciate it.
I will send you a photo of my back tomorrow.
I live near magarpatta city XXXXXXX Can you pls advise if I need to go in for chemical peel, where I should consult for the same?
Answered by Dr. Kalpana Pathak 29 hours later
Brief Answer:
details below

Detailed Answer:
Firstly post a pic of your back so that I can let you know which peel would work best.
If you have acne lesions, you may take salicylic acid peels. If having marks only then glycolic acid peel might be taken. Almost all dermatologists do peels now. Please consult any dermatologist in your area.
Hope this helped
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Follow-up: Suggest treatment for acne with pigmentation on back 12 hours later
Hi Doctor Kalpana, thanks for the response.
I have attached 4 snapshots of my back. im not sure if they are clear enough.
In case you think I need to send you clearer snaps, pls let me know.

Answered by Dr. Kalpana Pathak 42 hours later
Brief Answer:
details below

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for providing the pics.
Correct me if I am wrong, I can't appreciate active acne lesions over your back. It's just the dark pigmented spots that are visible. If that's the case
Use a lightening soap while bathing like dermadew lite soap
Apply a pigmentation reducing cream like glyahakoj lotion twice in a day in small amount.
Take few sessions of glycolic acid peels from any dermatologist for faster resolution of marks.
Hope this helped
Take care
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask a Dermatologist

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor