• question-icon

Suggest treatment for acne while on Isotretinoin

Posted on Fri, 21 Jul 2017 in Skin Hair and Nails
Question: I have acne on the back, hands, face, and scarring. I have tried using Doxycycline benzoyl peroxide and adapelene but there has been no significant change to the acne. Now the dermatologist is prescribing Isotretinoin 20 mg once a day. Was looking for a second opinion:
- I have fatty liver
- Have BP in the range of 130/90
- Have had seizures for two times in the past.
Answered by Dr. Kakkar S. 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Regarding isotretinoin for acne

Detailed Answer:
Hello. Thank you for writing to us

I am dr. kakkar (dermatologist).
I have gone through your query and I have noted your concern.
Isotertinoin is indicated for tough/ resistant acne and acne associated with scarring. It may have minor, reversible side effects like cheilitis/ dryness of lips and Xerosis/ dryness of skin. Otherwise it is a good and safe drug and US FDA approved for moderate to severe grade of acne.
I suggest a few blood tests prior to starting Isotretinoin e.g Lipid Profile and Liver Function Test. If your baseline lipid profile is fine then isotretinoin can be started irrespective of fatty liver. However if your lipid profile is derranged then isotretinoin is not a good option as it might further aggravate fatty liver. This is because idotretinoin is known to slightly elevate serum lipid levels.
Your BP seems quite Ok and past history of seizure is not a contraindication for isotretinoin.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Kampana
Dr. Kakkar S.

Dermatologist