Suggest treatment for acne problem on face and scalp

Dr. Johny Chacko

Dermatologist

Posted on Tue, 5 Aug 2014 in Acne
Question: Hi,

I'm having Acne problems on my face and scalp. Regularly there are new pimples produced on my face and scalp.
Can u please advice on any treatment?
Answered by Dr. Johny Chacko 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
Acne treatment

Detailed Answer:

Welcome to healthcare magic.

I understand from your query that you are suffering from pimples on face and scalp.

Treatment of acne depends on the grading and severity of acne. It depends on whether you are having blackheads/ whiteheads/ pus filled lesions or nodules.

In general, you could follow the following guidelines-

1. Apply a gel containing 1% clindamycin phosphate on pimple prone areas in the morning after bath.

2. At bedtime, use a gel containing a combination of 0.1% Adapelene with 2.5 % Benzoyl peroxide.

3. Use a face wash containing 2 % Salicylic acid twice a day to wash the face.

4. Avoid applying oil on your scalp. This will clog the pores and worsen acne.
If you are in the habit of oiling, apply only for 30 minutes before bath and wash off completely using a good shampoo.

5. Avoid fried foods and foods with lot of sugar. Have plenty of fruits and vegetables in the form of salads. Drink upto 2 litres of water everyday.

6. Depending on the severity, you may need oral antibiotics like doxycycline or azithromycin. These have to be prescribed by a dermatologist.

You have a feature to upload the images by yourself at the right side of the query page. Please utilize that so that I can assess the severity of your acne and advice more specifically if required.. You can also send the image as attachment to YYYY@YYYY , with the subject as 'Attn: Dr. Johny Chacko'.

Hope this helps you.

Dr. Johny Chacko
Follow up: Dr. Johny Chacko 37 hours later
Hi Doc,

Any specific medicines would you suggest.

Instead of using oil can I use hair cream.
Brief Answer:
Acne treatment

Detailed Answer:

Greetings!

You can look for any brand with the above combination. Ideally, you need to follow up with a dermatologist as acne is a long term problem. You could get them prescribed by your treating dermatologist.

It is better to avoid hair creams too. The creamy consistency can again clog the pores and worsen the acne.

Hope this helps you.

Dr. Johny Chacko