Suggest treatment for acne on the neck

Dr. Asmeet Kaur Sawhney

Dermatologist

Posted on Thu, 25 Aug 2016 in Skin Hair and Nails
Question: I have acne type swollen at Neck, maybe it is insect bite or other, I am experiencing pain and swelling in the area for the last 2 days, I didnt took any medicine yet, plz advise.
Answered by Dr. Asmeet Kaur Sawhney 34 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Take antihistaminics and apply steroid antibiotic combination cream,

Detailed Answer:
Hi
Thanks for being at healthcaremagic
I am Dr Asmeet Kaur Sawhney, a dermatologist.
For insect bite reactions I usually recommend my patients to apply a steroid antibiotic combination like mometasone and fusidic acid containing cream on the affected area twice daily for 7-10 days and take antihistaminic like tablet levocetrizine 5 mg twice daily for a week.
In case the reaction is severe with pain and burning I recommend them to take a short course of oral steroids like tablet prednisolone 20 mg once daily in the morning after breaking for 5 days.
This usually helps in resolving the reaction.
These are prescription drugs and you need to see the doctor in person to get them.
Dr Asmeet
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Veerisetty Shyamkumar
Follow up: Dr. Asmeet Kaur Sawhney 12 minutes later
I am not sure if it is insect bite,I suspect its a insect bite or maybe big acne, Is there any signs to identify it as the treatment advised may go wrong.Plz advise
Answered by Dr. Asmeet Kaur Sawhney 9 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Upload pictures under report section

Detailed Answer:
Insect bite usually appears suddenly and is associated with pain, itching, swelling and burning whereas acne occurs gradually.
Acne nodule is not usually painful except when its inflammed or infected.
I would recommend you to upload the photographs of the affected area under the report section of the site so that I can confirm the diagnosis and can guide you accordingly.
Follow up: Dr. Asmeet Kaur Sawhney 10 minutes later
I have uploaded the picture.
Answered by Dr. Asmeet Kaur Sawhney 15 minutes later
Brief Answer:
This is a furuncle, take oral and topical antibiotics

Detailed Answer:
I have reviewed the attached photograph and it is neither insect bite nor acne nodule.
This is a furuncle which is caused due to bacterial infection of the hair follicle.
I would recommend you to take topical and oral antibiotics along with anti inflammatory medicines.
If I was your treating doctor I would recommend you to take tablet containing combination of amoxicillin and clavulanic acid 625 mg twice daily for 5-7 days along with application of mupirocin cream on the affected area twice daily for 7-10 days.
Along with this take tablet containing diclofenac and serratiopeptidase combination twice daily for 3 days.
This will resolve the furuncle in 7-10 days.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Priyanka G Raj