Suggest treatment for acne on face

Dr. Kakkar S.

Dermatologist

Posted on Fri, 30 Oct 2015 in Skin Hair and Nails
Question: hi doc, i am having acne problem on face, i have tried lots of medicines ,ointments but getting no relief. i have pcod also and my weight is also high. please suggest me what should be done ? I am married and have a baby also. he is 3 years old
Answered by Dr. Kakkar S. 24 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Pcod requires hormonal Rx in additional to traditional antiacne Rx

Detailed Answer:
Hello. Thank you for writing to us

I have gone through your query and I have noted down your concern.

Pcod is a very common cause of acne in women (almost 1/3 rd of acne cases) and a very common cause of recurrent acne i.e acne that relapses despite appropriate traditional anti-acne treatment, as in your case.
Hormonal imbalance in pcod (as signified by irregular/ scant menstural cycles, coarse facial hair etc) requires an entirely different treatment approach in addition to traditional topical and oral antiacne treatment. e.g spironolactone tablets Or monthly hormonal pills e.g those containing a combination of ethinyl estradiol and cyperterone acetate. These need to be continued for at least 6-12 months.
Topical antiacne treatment in pcod patients is the same as for other acne patients i.e either clindamycin gel Or benzoyl peroxide gel for active acne spots during day time and Adapalene gel for night time application.
Besides hormonal treatment, Oral antibiotics can also be started if acne is inflammatory (papules, pustules) e.g doxycycline Or azithromycin or minocycline. These can be continued for a few weeks till hormonal treatment ultimately takes over.
Besides these, oral metformin is also a therapeutic option in pcod patients and helps to regularise periods as well as benefits hormonal acne.
These medications can be started after thorough investigations e.g blood tests to measure hormonal levels (serum testosterone, s. dheas levels), fasting insulin levels, liver function tests and serum lipid profile tests. I suggest that you visit a dermatologist in your vicinity for a detailed assessmen, lab tests and for the needful.