Suggest treatment for acne on eyelid margin

Dr. N. K. Misra

Ophthalmologist

Posted on Mon, 2 Nov 2015 in Vision and Eye Disorders
Question: Dear Doctor,

This is in regard of my daughter. She has a frequent acne problem on her eyes. Please see the attached pic for your reference. This happens to her very frequently (frequency - once a month on each eye/eyelid).

I had shown her to a doctor at Vasan eye care and attaching the prescription for your reference.

Please do let me know what is this disease and why this happens to her frequently.
Answered by Dr. N. K. Misra 30 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Antibiotics

Detailed Answer:
My dear,
Thanks for sending your query to us.
These are lid margin infections called as moebominitis.
Warm compress for 5 minutes twice a day is welcome. The temperature is to be monitored as it may not be too hot for the child.
Drug of choice for lid margin infections is tetracycline eye ointment. This is to be applied daily at bed time for 6 weeks.This ointment may be slightly difficult to get now a days.You will have to search for .
Till you get this contnue with the prescription and she will be ok in 3 to 4 days time but long term preventive treatment is needed to stop gurther recurrence.
Any further query in this regard please do get back to me.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Vinay Bhardwaj
Follow up: Dr. N. K. Misra 20 hours later
Thanks Doctor,

I hope this is not something would be worry about. I hope you had a chance to look at the pic of my daughter.

We will plan as per your instructions.
Answered by Dr. N. K. Misra 21 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Antibiotic treatment

Detailed Answer:
My dear,
Thanks for getting back to us.
I did see both attachments that is what made the diagnosis very obvious. It was good of you to have sent the photo.
Tetracycline eye ointment offers the best long term improvement.
We will stick to the prescription if tetracycline is not available
Please do get back to me in case of any further query in this regard.