Suggest treatment for acne, hair loss and heavy periods

Dr. Rakhi Tayal

OBGYN

Posted on Wed, 5 Apr 2017 in Pregnancy
Question: Hello,

I have had throat problems for two years now, and I have been told by ENT's it could be allergies or reflux. I have tried PPI's and nasal sprays. During this time I have also had many hormone differences, such as hair loss, acne, and very heavy periods. My iron is also quite low, (12). I have read that these hormone problems can trigger reflux, or iron deficiency can make throat problems worse. My Obgyn wants to put me on a very low dose of birth control called Lolo. What are the chances that this can also trigger reflux? I believe it may be able to regulate my menstrual cycle, and in turn cause some throat relief. Also, If it does trigger reflux, can I get off this right away and be back to normal, or would it take months for the chemicals to get out of my system?
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 32 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Hormone pill can cause nausea and reflux.

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for trusting us with your health concern.

Hormone problems and heavy bleeding can cause iron deficiency. The birth control itself can be associated with side effects like nausea and reflux but it usually subsides in 2-3 cycles. In case it triggers the symptoms then you can stop taking it after one cycle. The effect will gradually wane off in 4-7 days. Stopping the pill in mid cycle will cause an irregular and mid cycle bleeding. It can also delay your next periods.

Please feel free to discuss further. I will be glad to answer the follow up queries that you have.

Regards.
Dr. Rakhi Tayal.
For future query, you can directly approach me through my profile URL http://bit.ly/Dr-Rakhi-Tayal

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Vaishalee Punj
Follow up: Dr. Rakhi Tayal 1 hour later
Are there less chances of the side effect of reflux when taking LOLO a low dose birth control? And do you know of hormonal imbalances causing situations like reflux, and throat problems, ...so basically, could this birth control pill fix my current discomfort?
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 8 hours later
Brief Answer:
Lolo can help in reducing symptoms.

Detailed Answer:
Hello.
Thanks for writing again.
A low dose hormonal tablet is associated with lesser chances of reflux. This birth control can help in reducing the discomfort in throat but the response varies from person to person. Only after taking the tablet you will be able to find out how much it helped.
Hope my answer is helpful.
Do accept my answer in case there are no further queries.
Regards.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Yogesh D