Get your health question answered instantly from our pool of 18000+ doctors from over 80 specialties

160 Doctors Online
Doctor Image
Dr. Andrew Rynne

Family Physician

Exp 50 years

I will be looking into your question and guiding you through the process. Please write your question below.

Suggest treatment for acne, bloating and water retention due to Zoloft

Answered by
Dr. Ashok Kumar


Practicing since :2000

Answered : 2682 Questions

Posted on Wed, 23 May 2018 in Mental Health
Question: Hi, I have a question regarding zoloft, which I started 3.5 weeks ago.

I am having some frustrating side effects. I am hoping they will go away soon but I also dont think I can take another medication cause others have not helped me mentally like this is helping.

I have a breakout of acne. Plus I am very bloated with water retention. Please help.
Answered by Dr. Ashok Kumar 18 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Please check for serum electrolytes

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for using Healthcaremagic.

I read your query and understand your concerns.

First of all I like to inform you that acne is temporary side effect of zoloft which often results secondary to gastrointestinal disturbance. Although I do not have details about GI disturbance over the last 3.5 weeks but there is good possibility that you may experience GI side effects along with breakout of acne. Having said this I also like to inform you that it is often time limited side effect and disappears on discontinuation of medication or after few weeks of treatment with zoloft.

Water retention is another side effect of SSRI including Zoloft. This results from electrolyte disturbance. In my opinion getting serum electrolytes from nearby laboratory should be ordered and depending on the reports corrective measures can be suggested.

In case electrolytes are normal or otherwise, daily exercise and salt restriction often helps in this problem.

I hope this helps you.
Feel free to write back to me if you have more questions.
Thanks and regards.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Raju A.T

The User accepted the expert's answer

Share on