Suggest Treatment For Acne And Dark Spots Due To Acne
I have three major concerns:
1. What all can be done to prevent the onset of such zits. I do wash my face twice a day. Any mild/OTC solutions you may suggest?
2. To prevent myself from popping the zits, is there any cream/solution that can be applied to suppress them?
3.Anything for helping with the scars?
Kindly see the suggestions below for acne.
Welcome and thanks for posting your query to forum. I can understand your concern for pimples.
It is really distressing if there is presence of pimples on face.
Before I proceed to your issue let me explain you elaborately regarding pimples- Acne or pimples generally appears at the age of 13-14 years and then almost vanishes by the age of 25 years.
These erupts basically due to hormones (chemicals which are influencing one or other body functions including growth, puberty and development of body in adults) in addition to the influence of certain other factors causing its aggravation.
The hormone testosterone and its bye-products plays the most important role in high oil secretion and increase the size of oil glands especially in males. As the pores or ducts of the glands are blocked so it leads to formation of pimples.
There are certain other factors such as application of oily or creamy products, over exposure to sunlight, heat and humidity or due to pinching, popping and squeezing of the pimples also leads to formation of pimples. Once these are healing they leave the most problematic thing which are either marks or scars.
Therefore any of the above factors along with hormones can cause appearance of pimples at the age of 23 years also. So probably you got some idea regarding your acne.
There are certain suggestions which you can follow:
1. Do not pinch, pop or squeeze any area on face.
2. Do not apply any creamy or oily stuff or any other cosmetics over face.
3. Try to avoid any home remedies suggested by your friends or family members or otherwise self implicated therapies also.
4. Try avoiding situations of direct continuous exposure to sunlight or heat and humidity for long hours. Make your room properly ventilated it will improve the status of pimples.
5. Kindly do not use any antibiotic as self medication.
6. Do not apply any hair oil on scalp or apply in very less amount. Wash your scalp daily with some good shampoo and let there be no dandruff in your scalp ( because dandruff itself causes blockage of pores of oil glands and then pimples).
For topical application to prevent zits and and suppress these If I were your treating doctor then would have prescribed you a gel containing Clindamycin in it. This should be applied at night time in thinnest possible amount over pimples only. For initial few days apply for 1 hour and then wash it off.
For scars and spots I would have preferred a cream containing Kojic acid or azelaic acid to be applied at night time.This should be applied at night time in thinnest possible amount over spots only.
Hope these informations will help you. If you have any further query I will be happy to help.
Dr Sanjay Kumar Kanodia
Also, as I need to shave regularly, I believe shaving makes the problem worse as many a times, the zits are right on a hair follicle. I have 3 options: Electric trimmer, electric shaver or conventional razor. What would you prescribe for regular usage to prevent scarring, blemishes?
Use a gel based product containing Aloe vera in it.
Welcome again to the forum and thanks a lot for your swift follow up.
For face dryness I prefer to suggest you to use a "gel based" product containing Aloe vera in it. Again to remind you that do not try to massage anything on face and be very gentle with the skin of face.
For shaving : I prefer to use a Electric trimmer or electric shaver to prevent scarring and injury to skin.
Hope this information will help you. If you have any further query I will be happy to help.
"My all best wishes for your healthy and glowing skin"
Dr Sanjay Kumar Kanodia