Suggest treatment for acid reflux

Posted on Sat, 28 Mar 2015 in Digestion and Bowels
Question: I have had acid reflux. Taking previcid for it. now I have gas that still comes up my throat sometimes forcing food and mucus into my mouth and into my airways. Usually when I take my first bite of food or drink of a meal. I am trying to figure out what is causing it and how can I avoid it.
Answered by Dr. Ivo Ditah 33 minutes later
Brief Answer:
I will suggest you get more testing!

Detailed Answer:
Hi and thank you so much for this query.

I am so sorry to hear about this acid reflux that you have reported. Acid reflux is only amenable to drugs if the defect that causes this is small. If the problem is a big opening of the esophagus into the stomach, drugs can only control the symptoms of burning pain related to the acid getting up into the throat and mouth but not stop the process. This is why there are other measures like surgery in such conditions. I will suggest that you get the lower opening of the esophagus into the stomach evaluated by a gastroenetorologist. This would provide answers as to whether you need surgery for this or not.

In the main time, average eating too liquid food, leaning forward shortly after meals, going too bed soon after meals, use a pillow to support your head when you go to sleep. Also, avoid coffee, chocolates and smoking as they aggravate symptoms of reflux.

I hope this helps. I wish you well. Thanks for using our services and feel free to ask for more information and clarifications if need be.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Yogesh D
Dr. Ivo Ditah