• question-icon

Suggest treatment for acid reflux

Posted on Thu, 22 Jan 2015 in Liver and Gall Bladder
Question: Hi,
Physical History: 1. Age: 30
2. Sex: M
3. Weight: 60.4 Kg
4. Problem: Long history(around 5 years) of acid reflux
My questions are below -
1. Is acid reflux or gastritis can be chronic?.
2. Most of the times medications bring relief for a few days and the cycle continues. Is there any real way to curb this?.
3. Most important question - I had Endoscopy done three years back and cold biopsies were obtained. Findings were I have a chronic mild active gastritis and small hiatal hernia. Do I need to repeat endoscopy again as I don't think I have any alarming signs, but am not a doctor?.
Few more things - My acidity is not over the roof, it's manageable, I don't take any medicines. There is no blood in stool, I haven't lost any weight(but actually gained some) and don't have any extreme acid reflux, I can sleep well. I am really tensed about this question, so please explain in a bit detail.as internet is full of information I can't make out.
4. I don't like to take medicines because of the side-effects they may cause. I really don't know what to do as internet is full of information which confuses me more. So, the medication which I was offered long time back around PPI should I start them?..I read controversial findings overall. So, please advise based on my case.

Other details: Have got an extensive health checkup done which included CBP and other various blood work and abdominal ultrasound. Everything is normal.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.
Answered by Dr. Ajit Naniksingh Kukreja 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
All data on the net is not authentic.

Detailed Answer:

Thanks for writing in
First and foremost all data on the net is not authentic, so do not go for self medication or treating your self, always see your physician before taking any decision.

1] Yes, both gastritis and reflux can go chronic.
2] There are acute exacerbation related to food, stress, alcohol, medicines etc.
3] No need to go for the endoscopy, if there are no symptoms indicating it.
4] DO take medicines for the prescribed period after consulting your physician.

Here are few tips, I usually provide my patients who suffer from reflux see if it helps

1] Avoid spicy, fermented meals
2] Do not have heavy meals
3] Avoid smoking and alcohol
4] Wear loose clothes
5] Do not stoop
6] Do not lift heavy weights
7] Raise the head end of your bed
8] If Obese lose weight
9] If under stress - Manage stress levels by meditation and exercise

Hope this helps
Do write back in case of concern
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Ashwin Bhandari
Follow up: Dr. Ajit Naniksingh Kukreja 28 minutes later
Thanks for the reply doctor. Greatly appreciate it.

This was your answer -
"3] No need to go for the endoscopy, if there are no symptoms indicating it."
Given my case and symptoms, do you feel a need for myself to go for Endoscopy?. I might be repeating the question, but I want to make sure you as a doctor help me in making that decision.

Also, do you see any alarming symptoms in my case?.
Answered by Dr. Ajit Naniksingh Kukreja 5 hours later
Brief Answer:
No as a treating doctor I won't

Detailed Answer:
Hi

Thanks for the followup query

Had I been your treating doctor I would not perform a repeat endoscopy at this stage

Nor do I find anything alarming except your stress

Just continue the prescribed medicines for the stipulated period and follow the tips I have mentioned earlier

Do keep me posted on the happenings
Wishing you a healthy life ahead
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Prasad
Dr. Ajit Naniksingh Kukreja

Gastroenterologist, Surgical