Suggest treatment for acid reflux

General Surgeon
Question
I have a problem of gas and acidity almost regulary.
I take my meals at regular intervals, avoid oily and spicy food drink lot of water still very frequently i get heart burns and loose apetite.
I have heard taking cold milk in case of acid reflux helps but it doesnt sooth me.
Please help me in rectifying this once and for all.
Another thing to add to this is, i have had a recent episode of viral fever and all the antibiotics have resulted in upset stomach and acidity and have lost any appetite.
Posted Wed, 13 Aug 2014 in GERD

Answered by Dr. Deepika Patil 10 hours later
Brief Answer:
looks like gerd

Detailed Answer:
Hi XXXXXXX

Welcome back to HealthcareMagic.

You seem to be having GERD (gastro esophageal reflux disease) as you are also having heart burns and reflux.

This is due to lax lower esophageal sphincter which is unable to prevent reflux.
Yes,Antibiotic also causes acidity and heart burn.

I usually start my patients with gerd on a course of a proton pump inhibitors(ppi) tablet and a gastrokinetic drug, like a combination of pantoprazole and levosulpiride. But for the prescription you need to see a local doctor.

PPI reduces the acid production and gastrokinetic enhances gastric emptying. Thus they both act synergistically to prevent reflux.

Also I would advise that you get an upoer Gastrointestinal tract endoscopy done to look for the severity of gastritis and to rule out any hiatus hernia, as it is frequently associated with gerd.

Also there are a few more lifestyle modifications needed apart from the one you are already doing. Like you need to reduce the quantity of food taken per meal. This will reduce the stomach distension and reduce reflux. You may increse the frequency of your meals to keep the total intake same.

Also avoid lying down for an hour or two after a meal. And while sleeping put two pillows under your head. This all will prevent reflux.

Hope I have been helpful.

Dr.Deepika Patil