Get your health question answered instantly from our pool of 18000+ doctors from over 80 specialties

177 Doctors Online
Doctor Image
Dr. Andrew Rynne

Family Physician

Exp 50 years

I will be looking into your question and guiding you through the process. Please write your question below.

Suggest treatment for acid reflux, regurgitation, appetite loss, constipation and headaches

Answered by
Dr. Michelle Gibson James

General & Family Physician

Practicing since :2001

Answered : 15828 Questions

Posted on Tue, 29 May 2018 in Medicines and Side Effects
Question: I'm friends with a 26-year-old woman who has no insurance and no family to assist. I'd like to help pay the cost for her to get a diagnosis of chronic symptoms that have been intensifying for more than 9 months. Not sure what kind of MD to send her to. Symptoms: acid reflux; burping up bile; no appetite until evening; constipation; headaches; throat tightness and hoarseness; swollen anus; nausea. Sounds like GERD to me. She came out of foster care with chronic anxiety, which has now lessened but symptoms are worsening.
Answered by Dr. Michelle Gibson James 31 minutes later
Brief Answer:
a gastroenterologist may be the best option

Detailed Answer:
HI, thanks for using healthcare magic

Since the majority of her symptoms relate to the gastrointestinal tract (decreased appetite, acid reflux, burping bile, constipation, nausea, anal change, hoarseness- this can occur in reflux) then you may want to consider a gastroenterologist.

This is a doctor that specializes in disorders of the gastrointestinal tract.

Her GP may be able to refer her or you maybe able to locate one using a website like that identifies doctors in different specialities and locations.\

In the mean time she can start treatment for GERD, as you mentioned, which may be contributing to some of the symptoms (not typically associated with anal swelling).
Reflux meds include nexium, prilosec, prevacid etc. It can take 5 to 7 days for these meds to kick in and they need to be combined with diet changes (reducing acid/spicy foods, smaller frequent meals instead of large meals)

I hope this helps, feel free to ask any other questions
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Chakravarthy Mazumdar

The User accepted the expert's answer

Share on