Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
166 Doctors are Online

Suggest treatment for acid reflux and heartburn

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

General & Family Physician
Practicing since : 2001
Answered : 14997 Questions
my 12 year old grandson suffers from acid reflux, also heartburn sometimes. .Is it usual for twelve y.o. to have this? He gets medication for it, but it makes him drowsy and he sleeps in school when he takes it in the mornings. He brings up mostly liquid and particles of food several times a day. Is there anything that he could get that would help him better;
Posted Fri, 14 Mar 2014 in Digestion and Bowels
Answered by Dr. Michelle Gibson James 47 minutes later
Brief Answer: it can occur at any age Detailed Answer: Hi, thanks for using healthcare magic Reflux can occur even in babies. There are doses that have been calculated to give to babies who have issues with reflux. It is a condition that can occur from babies to the elderly. It is treated with lifestyle changes and the use of medication. The lifestyle changes may already be familiar to you: (1)small meals to reduce acid production- this means eating small meals frequently (2)eliminating fried/fatty/acidic/spicy foods. Also reducing the use of mint/chocolate/tomato which can also cause symptoms (3)not lying down within 2 hours of eating (4)loss of any excess weight because it compresses the stomach can causes acid to reflux into the esophagus Severe reflux can sometimes be associated with the presence a bacteria H pylori. This can be detected by lab tests and treated with a course of antibiotics combined with acid reflux medication. In addition, it is important to remember that though one acid reflux medication causes specific side effects, others , because of slight different structure may not have the same effects. You can consider asking his doctor for another that may not cause the same reaction. I hope this helps, feel free to ask any other questions
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask a Gastroenterologist

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor