• question-icon

Suggest treatment for aches in the feet

Posted on Fri, 14 Jul 2017 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Question: For the last week or 10 days, I have had a chronic mild general ache in both feet. I have applied epsom salt foot baths, soaked my feet in cold and then hot water, and taken ibruprophen. What other home remedies can I use? Secondly, when should I abandon my self help and consult a podiatrist?
Answered by Dr. Ahmed Aly Hassan 53 minutes later
Brief Answer:
comfort shoes and elevation with topical gels will be effective for most of the cases

Detailed Answer:
Hi I am Dr Ahmed Aly
Thanks for using HealthcareMagic,
I have gone through your question and understand your concerns ..

It is important to know the main cause of pain and whether it is accompanied by heavy work, long-standing, swelling or not.

In my opinion, you are doing well with the foot bath, ibuprofen you may add leg elevation and gentle massaging with topical anti-inflammatory gels and wear comfortable shoes avoid over exertion on your feet and you will feel fine. It is also recommended to avoid over weighing and obesity(if at all there). You may remain vigilant if there's any excessive swelling and bruise to prevent complications.

If pain persists I'd recommend further investigations like X-rays, Doppler scan, urine and blood analysis and follow them with your physician for proper evaluation and management.

Wish you good health,
Any further clarifications feel free to ask.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Arnab Banerjee
Dr. Ahmed Aly Hassan

Orthopaedic Surgeon