Suggest treatment for accumulated fluid in stomach and swelling leg

Dr. Shruti Rijhwani

Rheumatologist

Posted on Wed, 27 Aug 2014 in Medicines and Side Effects
Question: Hi Dr. Am Prabodh had asked earlier for my mother. If you have data I had shared you the reports also.

Now she has accumulated fluid in stomach and swelling in leg. Given lassiktone for one week daily half and two times. Only changes find in legs.

Bilirubin checked last week which was 12.

http://doctor.healthcaremagic.com/AskDoctorInboxServlet?page=viewQuery&queryId=124084

Please advise.
Answered by Dr. Shruti Rijhwani 6 hours later
Brief Answer:
Follows.

Detailed Answer:
Dear Sir,

Thank you for posting your query on HCM.

Well looking into your query I will like to tell you that I had viewed your previous conversations and got the impression that she has been started on ATT after which she developed hepatotoxicity . She has developed ascites and pedal edema for which they are giving lasilactone , It will take time to act its too early to see anything plus since the etiology hasnt been established we dont know if its a chronic liver damamge or acute one .

You have mentioned about liver biopsy in your previous questions please get it done as it will the gold standard to establish the etiology and thus the treatment will be accordingly modified .

In liver injury the albumin is less and there is A:G ratio reversal so low albumin will lead to fluid retention until and unless albumin is corrected the fluid is going to stay . One option is ascites tapping but it can worsen the problem also if drained in larger amounts so your doctors will take a decision on this .

I think your mother is being treated adequately and the doctors are treating her rightly , so have faith its going to take a long time for recovery .

Dr. Shruti