Owl Image

Suggest treatment for accidental intake of lotion

Owl Image
Dr. Eric Goldstein

Pediatrician

Question
I have a 2 and half year old who I think may have had a small amount of lotion containing 10% Deet. She opened the top of the bottle of lotion and I believe got the top of her finger with a small coating of lotion and put it in her mouth. she weighs approximately 33 lbs. she doesn't seem to be having any reaction, she had some water and crackers, and seems fine. Like I mentioned before, I know it wasn't a significant amount.
Just need a little peace of mind. This happened 90 minutes ago.
thank you
Mon, 18 Aug 2014 in Child Health

Answered by Dr. Eric Goldstein 49 minutes later
Brief Answer:
DEET

Detailed Answer:
Hello. I just read through your question. These types of incidents are very common in this age group. Assuming anything was ingested at all, the amount is so small that it is not in any way toxic. I don't believe you will see any symptoms, signs, or adverse reactions. You can have peace of mind that she will be fine.