Suggest treatment for accidental intake of janumet pills

Dr. Pavan Kumar Gupta

Posted on Wed, 6 Aug 2014 in Medicines and Side Effects
Question: hi, I'm pretty sure I took 2 janumet pills tonight by mistake. I'm really not sure. They are 50/1000. Any advice? Thanks
Answered by Dr. Pavan Kumar Gupta 2 hours later
Brief answer....it can result in low blood sugar levels and hence you must go to hospital for observation.
Detailed answer...
JANUMET is a combination of SITAGLIPTIN and METFORMIN..
Overdose of this medicine can cause low blood sugar levels in blood.
Symptoms of low sugar are...
Shakiness,sweatiness,dizziness,cold sweats etc.
More severe symptoms include..
Confusion,irritability,lack of co ordination,loss of consciousness,seizures etc.

It is always better to go to hospital for observation for few hours and take intravenous fluids,if you have consumed the medication just recently.
In case if it is already many hours since the consumption and you don't have any above mentioned symptoms,then either you didn't overdosed or your system has adjusted to the situation.
Keep a close watch on your symptoms and keep monitoring your blood sugar levels with glucometer.It is better that your close family member is with you .
I hope it helps,however you may revert to me or any further query.
Best of luck
Thanks