Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
149 Doctors are Online

Suggest treatment for accidental intake of janumet pills

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

General & Family Physician
Practicing since : 1978
Answered : 6714 Questions
hi, I'm pretty sure I took 2 janumet pills tonight by mistake. I'm really not sure. They are 50/1000. Any advice? Thanks
Posted Wed, 6 Aug 2014 in Medicines and Side Effects
Answered by Dr. Pavan Kumar Gupta 2 hours later
Brief can result in low blood sugar levels and hence you must go to hospital for observation.
Detailed answer...
Thanks for the query.
JANUMET is a combination of SITAGLIPTIN and METFORMIN..
Overdose of this medicine can cause low blood sugar levels in blood.
Symptoms of low sugar are...
Shakiness,sweatiness,dizziness,cold sweats etc.
More severe symptoms include..
Confusion,irritability,lack of co ordination,loss of consciousness,seizures etc.

It is always better to go to hospital for observation for few hours and take intravenous fluids,if you have consumed the medication just recently.
In case if it is already many hours since the consumption and you don't have any above mentioned symptoms,then either you didn't overdosed or your system has adjusted to the situation.
Keep a close watch on your symptoms and keep monitoring your blood sugar levels with glucometer.It is better that your close family member is with you .
I hope it helps,however you may revert to me or any further query.
Best of luck
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask an Internal Med Specialist

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor