question-icon

Suggest treatment for accidental ingestion of parad tablet

default
Posted on Thu, 19 May 2016
Question: Hi,

My 2.5yr old son has eaten rice which had parad tablet (mugdha rasa tablet by Zandu with composition Mercury 30mg, calcium carbonate 60mg) added in it to help preserve the rice. We are not sure if he has actually consumed the tablet or not. It has been 23 hrs since the incident occurred. He has had a vomiting and a couple of motions since the incident. The motions seems to have stopped a coyple of hours back. Does he need any special diagnosis and treatment. Please let me know.
doctor
Answered by Dr. Diptanshu Das (3 hours later)
Brief Answer:
Wait and observe. Give ORS

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for asking on HealthcareMagic.

Mercury is a toxic element and I would not recommend ingestion of such medicines. As of now, there is not much to be done. The vomiting and loose motions have already stopped. Give him ORS (oral rehydration solution) to make up for the lost water and salts. Other than that I would insist a wait and watch approach. I do not feel that a specialist visit for diagnosis would be quite helpful at the moment. But in case anything untoward crops up, be sure to rush to the nearest hospital.

Regards
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Chakravarthy Mazumdar
doctor
default
Follow up: Dr. Diptanshu Das (27 hours later)
Hi Mr. XXXXXXX

My kid has had a couple of motions again.
The consistency of the stool is a little loose but not watery. We have visited a local pediatrician. We informed him that we have not seen the kid consume mercury tablets but the kid has been telling us that he has consumed one tablet. He says that mercury consumption would not result in fever. He started treatment for viral gastero.

His prescriptions are

Ondansetron
Ofloxacin and metronidazole
Enterogermina

One more point worth mentioning is that my kid has had motions and been hospitalized just 2 weeks back.
He was given antibiotics through IV as he refused to take medicines orally. Will the effect of the antibiotics not last atleast 4 weeks? Is it really a viral infection or side effects of mercury consumption. We are confused and worried. Is there any diagnosis and treatment for mercury consumption. Other that motions (he has had exactly 5 motions today) he has no more complaints. Please advise
doctor
Answered by Dr. Diptanshu Das (3 minutes later)
Brief Answer:
Viral gastroenteritis is a possibility to consider

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for writing back. Your doctor has correctly pointed out that the fever is not likely to be the result of ingestion of the tablet and that a viral infection is likely. But a viral infection does not respond to antibiotics and so ofloxacin and metronidazole are meaningless to be given unless the stool is blood stained (which is surely not the case). But if you have started it, you should complete the course.

The effect of antibiotics is not something to last. It just eliminates existing infection, if any; the chances of reinfection are independent. To prevent reinfection, maintenance of hand hygiene is very important.

Regards
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Chakravarthy Mazumdar
doctor
Answered by
Dr.
Dr. Diptanshu Das

Pediatrician

Practicing since :2005

Answered : 3859 Questions

premium_optimized

The User accepted the expert's answer

Share on
Suggest treatment for accidental ingestion of parad tablet

Brief Answer: Wait and observe. Give ORS Detailed Answer: Thanks for asking on HealthcareMagic. Mercury is a toxic element and I would not recommend ingestion of such medicines. As of now, there is not much to be done. The vomiting and loose motions have already stopped. Give him ORS (oral rehydration solution) to make up for the lost water and salts. Other than that I would insist a wait and watch approach. I do not feel that a specialist visit for diagnosis would be quite helpful at the moment. But in case anything untoward crops up, be sure to rush to the nearest hospital. Regards