Suggest treatment for accidental ingestion of double dosage of Seloken XL

Dr. Anantharamakrishnan

Cardiologist

Posted on Sat, 10 Sep 2016 in Hypertension and Heart Disease
Question: Hello,
My mother (age 63) takes Seloken XL (50 mg) every morning(9am) since last 1 year. Today accidentally she also has taken it in the night(11pm). She has a pacemaker. She does not have any other problems. Is it a matter of concern as she has taken it at night again(14 hours gap)? Should she take the dose tomorrow? I am a bit worried. Please advise
Answered by Dr. Anantharamakrishnan 7 hours later
Brief Answer:
Relax - unlikely to have any problem

Detailed Answer:
Hi friend
Welcome to Health Care Magic

Nothing to worry…
Nothing to do except to be aware…
If something is unusual, see your doctor

The dose is up to 200 mg,,,,
It can slow down the heart rate…no concern, since there is a pace maker
A slight reduction in BP – but it is slow release formulation and it is not likely to be significant…

The half-life of Metoprolol is about 3 to 7 hours / so, half of it is gone by the time you questioned…! And a few more hours now to answer, a lot more has gone…

For avoiding such error in the future, buy a drug dispenser box (pill organiser) from local pharmacy… the boxes have days and times, marked….

Good luck
God bless you