question-icon

Suggest treatment for accidental consumption of melted plastic

default
Posted on Thu, 21 May 2015
Question: I was sous vide some vegetables. After eating them and cleaning my equipment I noticed the plastic from my vacuum sealed bag was melted onto my sous vide heating tool. Should I be concerned about any toxicity?
doctor
Answered by Dr. Rakesh Madhyastha (19 minutes later)
Brief Answer:
plastic toxicity

Detailed Answer:
Hello

Thanks for the query

Melted plastic is known to have certain carcinogenic hydrocarbons which gets absorbed into the food.

This is what you should do

1. do not worry, plastic won't cause acute toxicity
2. drink plenty of water, about 4 litres to wash it all off
3. I recommend you to take Vit e and Vit c capsules for 15 days
4. please be careful from next time

I hope I was of help, if you have any further queries please get back to me

Regards
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Chakravarthy Mazumdar
doctor
Answered by
Dr.
Dr. Rakesh Madhyastha

Nephrologist

Practicing since :2009

Answered : 4364 Questions

premium_optimized

The User accepted the expert's answer

Share on
Suggest treatment for accidental consumption of melted plastic

Brief Answer: plastic toxicity Detailed Answer: Hello Thanks for the query Melted plastic is known to have certain carcinogenic hydrocarbons which gets absorbed into the food. This is what you should do 1. do not worry, plastic won't cause acute toxicity 2. drink plenty of water, about 4 litres to wash it all off 3. I recommend you to take Vit e and Vit c capsules for 15 days 4. please be careful from next time I hope I was of help, if you have any further queries please get back to me Regards