question-icon

Suggest treatment for accidental consumption of Karvol plus by children

default
Posted on Wed, 20 May 2015
Question: Hi...my baby has mistakenly ingested a dropnof karvol plus..is it dangerous..what should i do?
doctor
Answered by Dr. Sumanth Amperayani (1 hour later)
Brief Answer:
1 drop won't do harm

Detailed Answer:
Hi....if you are definitely sure that it's only one single drop, nothing to worry. But if the quantity is large with respect to age, I suggest you take the baby to nearest emergency room if any of the below mentioned symptoms occur.

I need to know the baby's age and how the baby is right now.

Accidental intake by mouth may cause diarrhoea, stomach pain, nausea, vomiting and sweating.

This might require emptying stomach by aspiration and lavage (sucking out and washing).

When large quantities are swallowed, hypotension (low blood pressure), dyspnoea (shortness of breath) and respiratory failure may occur. The respiration (breathing) should be assisted until spontaneous breathing is fully restored.


Regards - Dr. Sumanth
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Neel Kudchadkar
doctor
default
Follow up: Dr. Sumanth Amperayani (2 hours later)
Dear Sir,

Thank you for your answer. I am sure it was a single drop. So far I have not seen any of the above symptoms. He seems to be sleeping though he is a bit restless due to existing cold & chest congestion.
As far as vomiting is concerned, he puked a few drops around 10 minutes after feeding. Breathing seems regular to me.
Please suggest if he still needs to be taken to hospital or the stomach needs to be emptied.

thank you so much

regards,
XXXX
doctor
Answered by Dr. Sumanth Amperayani (6 hours later)
Brief Answer:
As it is only a drop no need for stomach wash

Detailed Answer:
Hi...As it is only a drop no need for stomach wash.

Regards - Dr. Sumanth
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Prasad
doctor
Answered by
Dr.
Dr. Sumanth Amperayani

Pediatrician, Pulmonology

Practicing since :2003

Answered : 8342 Questions

premium_optimized

The User accepted the expert's answer

Share on
Suggest treatment for accidental consumption of Karvol plus by children

Brief Answer: 1 drop won't do harm Detailed Answer: Hi....if you are definitely sure that it's only one single drop, nothing to worry. But if the quantity is large with respect to age, I suggest you take the baby to nearest emergency room if any of the below mentioned symptoms occur. I need to know the baby's age and how the baby is right now. Accidental intake by mouth may cause diarrhoea, stomach pain, nausea, vomiting and sweating. This might require emptying stomach by aspiration and lavage (sucking out and washing). When large quantities are swallowed, hypotension (low blood pressure), dyspnoea (shortness of breath) and respiratory failure may occur. The respiration (breathing) should be assisted until spontaneous breathing is fully restored. Regards - Dr. Sumanth